Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Over forty and loving it.



I am over 40 and I'm on top of the hill! But wait, will it be downhill from here on?

Oh, the ride up the hill included more that 18 years of formal education, innumerable physical, emotional and intellectual growing pains. I have my first kiss, first date, first love, first pimple, first rejection letter, first break-up, and first failure, not necessarily in that order.

While many of these firsts are memorable and endearingly sweet, for the most part my firsts are what give me a taste of something. From there, I decide if I want to continue or move on to the next first. I know that to really enjoy and master something it will require time and multiple attempts at it. I'm grateful that not all of my dates turned out like the first and that after the first break-up I didn't just give up on love.

Now that I'm here, I guess it doesn't matter how I got here. I'm glad I'm beginning to let go of the pressures. I'm pleased that I got to live in the simpler times when I was a kid. But I'm also thrilled to arrive in the new millennium. To have grown as an adult into all the new technologies of today. The amazing new developments which improve exponentially.

Yes, the world has become more virtual, as I stay in constant contact with people through the World-Wide-Web, no matter where I live. This makes me feel less isolated, even if I choose to stay home and raise a family. I have more rights and privileges too, which is a wonderful thing.

But don't get the idea that I jump from my bed each morning and do fifty push-ups. I have aches and pains that come with age. But I don't examine my face for new wrinkles or count the new gray hairs.

The world is still the same, I work, eat, play and sleep. I just know myself better and I am way more tolerant. Being over forty, I now have this deep sense of who I am and what I want from life.

Now if I could just find where it is...

5 comments:

Sid Brechin said...

I have told you in chat but should say it here. Where I am you would have trouble convincing the men I know you are past your mid thirties. Saying your age would be met with disbelief.

Any of you other guys notice the same thing?

Amazon Buyer said...

hhmm..over forties..i thought u had said me ur grom the geriatric age group.. ;)..forty and happening..and i am entering 30s or already entered..yeah each one has his own share of things..it is all fruitful if you learn from your mistakes and carry on the correct things..reviewing my life..there have been mistakes...there have been good things..all in all life has taught me a lot of things or rather the people around me have made me known of facts of life..from here on where i end up is still a mystery..hope this blog would be still running by the time i reach my sixties..will surely update my status..:)

Sir,William said...

Well my friend and Lil,Sister....lol
Im on my way to the top...over 50 and feeling 25-30. Keeping physically fit is the main thing!

Eat what I want and keep the mind functioning by Blogging, and playing games like imvu or some other healthy texting type game where you must use your brain.

And by no means do you my sister look over 30.

amna said...

you don't look forty at all, still pretty and vibrant as ever. love your blogs, awesome!

Anonymous said...

very well written and you have weathered the storms of aging!!!Keep it up!!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin