Monday, November 10, 2008

A furry of joy.


It has been four weeks now since our cat gave birth to six lovely kittens. For the first week of their life the kittens were confined to a box. Then on the 2nd week Stray decided to move them in the boy’s room, under the bed, and there they nest, mainly sleeping and suckling.

On the third week the mother moved them to my bedroom. Maybe, because there is less chaos there. By this time the kittens eyes had opened and they had started to crawl although they still confine themselves under my bed.

Then suddenly one of them decided to go farther out, and within minutes the rest of the kittens had discovered that the world was slightly bigger and more interesting than the dark corner at the far end of my bed. This fourth week are wonderful days with six kittens causing mayhem and laughter throughout the house.

But we know we have to let go of our kittens save maybe for one or two, because we cannot allow then to take over our little abode. They will be jumping and crawling all over, and leave scratch marks in my couch, curtains and rag, and leave stinking pee anywhere they pleased. I won't allow them to become adorable kitties of mass destruction.

Of course, it wouldn't be easy, but at least we had the chance to witness the magic of birth, to endless laughter and entertainment right down to letting go of the kittens.

I have seen how helpless kittens were dumped from vehicles, Stray being among them, and I heard stories of kittens put in a sack and thrown in a river to drown. That won't happen to my kitties, as they will be moving to loving homes that will take care and nurture them. And as for the mother, she will be spayed to avoid her having endless kittens that would become more and more difficult to home.

Only few days left till we bid them fond farewell, yet until now I am undecided which kitten we let go and which will stay behind. Darn...

2 comments:

Siva said...

Wow..so nice and cute kittens...I know its hard feeling to give some of the kittens..But have to be...Hmm....I wish they all be happy...Om..

EdGeneer said...

Awwww... so cute.... I have two cats, one old and one younger. the younger is a tree monkee, an absolute terror.... the older is a noisy, mouthy, friendly, old bat. Kittlens are always cute, and playful additions to your home. My wife is still trying to talk me into kittens when friends cats give birth, or there are new arrivals at the animal shelter. We'll see... we already have two feline punks :)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin