Friday, October 24, 2008

A matter of life and debt.



Who doesn't owe anyone debt at some point in time? It seems we are all under a peculiar form of indebtedness at one time or another. In fact, everytime I see a long line of people in lottery ticket outlets, I see souls like me who want to escape chronic financial stress. Folks who hope to escape the financial debt with a stroke of luck or unforseen financial relief. We know that a lot of people get into debt because of circumstances beyond their control.

My monthly bills alone and daily needs are enough to escalate debts for me, especially if I am not extremely careful with my spending. Then think how much more so, for those born into already difficult circumstances such as poverty and economic hardship who continually struggle simply to survive, and often have no way of paying for the basic necessities.

My debts are not necessarily as bad as others maybe and I am not ashamed to admit that I have been careless with my spending habit. But debt can become a problem for anyone, especially in today's credit culture. However, trying to be happy while in debt, is like trying to stay dry in the rain. Oh, we might get away with it for a little while, but eventually, if the downpour doesn't let up, even the proverbial "happy camper" will get soaked.

I've been there and done that and it was a tough road. Losing the business I had so painstakingly build from scratch because of the financial crisis in Asia during the 97' is a big blow. It also changes people's attitude towards me. But it made me learn a valuable lessons - like how little I could get by on and not be uncomfortable or do without.

Debt can become a prison - a prison whose walls are fear. It literally crushed the life right out of me. When my spirit becomes ill, the body follows closely behind. The whole of my being is affected by it. First the emotional and spiritual and ultimately the physical as they are closely entwined and it becomes like a tumbling house of cards.

It takes a hell of a lot of courage and stamina to persevere, one day at a time, one foot at a time, till I overcome it.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin