Thursday, February 11, 2010

A midlife scare.


Here I am at the tail-end of my forties. I find myself wondering how I got here so quickly. (sigh!)

Looking back, I heave a sigh or relief that all the sleepless nights, dirty diapers, school field trips and teen angst were worth it. And amazingly, despite my mistakes and periods of crisis, my children have grown into well adjusted, happy people... and they love me!

But mirrors nowadays scares the hell out of me! Seeing my reflection in the mirror this morning is kinda depressing or is it only because I am PMSing and I usually get depressed during this time?

How did that happen? Where did it all go! The years - the black hair - now gray in a flash. Why can't I get rid of this bulging stomach? Can I go back and do it again, please?

Alas, it was too late. Somehow, I must have traveled through a Star Trek style worm hole and moved forward in time. Darn, the fact that I am now referring to Star Trek and worm holes is also an unwelcome development. Is a sudden interest in Science Fiction age related?

Okey! Calm down. So what if I am nearing 50. I still think I have aged better than those I went to school with. However, a quick look in the mirror shatters THAT illusion. And to think that I haven't even tried getting a tattoo or went downhill on a skate board!

Never mind, I will do my best to get through this difficult time in my usual mature, sensible and dignified way. I shall simply ignore the fact that I am reaching a depressing milestone, then sulk and snap at anyone who dares to mention it!

And if I do feel down, I can always watch some Star Trek.

8 comments:

ADMIN said...

Hi Odette, I have an award for you, so come and get it!

ADMIN said...

Ok, now come and get it!

Odette Bautista Mikolai said...

hope you did not burn your dinner while trying to go back and forth to your pc to fix this, lol!
xoxoxo

Tracey said...

We all get older! It's funny how we feel 20, then catch our reflection! Still, at least we are here and healthy-ish.....! xxx

Odette Bautista Mikolai said...

Tracey,
yes to that! especially since we still have no limited mobility. we can still do the things we wanted to do. that vacation trip is still open, no?
xoxoxo

Angry American said...

SWEET JESUS Odette. I thought you meant YOU were wearing diapers already. :o (I'm gonna pay for that one)

I still feel young enough to do all the things I did 20 years ago but my body doesn't always cooperate fully.

Odette Bautista Mikolai said...

AA,
Lol, i am still young enough to go to the loo.
xoxoxo

Sid Brechin said...

Let me speak as someone who watched Star Trek and complained when the Science was Fantasy rather then fiction. Also as someone now nearing 60 rather then 50. First I had a problem for a time due to an illness that all but keeps you house bound. A minus. Second I'm ex-Military the disipline is not external you learn it a plus. Recently I got a home gym they are now decent in price and a treadmill. There a good one ( I was infantry and as I improved didn't want to wear it out ) is still slightly costly.

The body can and will heal. The mind can too. The soul is a matter of attitude. I remember seeing my reflection in a mirror about 12 years ago and thinking my Dad was visiting the city and walked to it realizing as I got close it was me. Not something I'm ashamed of.

I'm losing my hair have been for years. Doesn't bother me men only have 3 hair styles. Parted, unparted and departed. My beard which I sport for the winter months is now grey. So I colour it big deal.

I also pay more attention to diet.
I know exercise is still more important and attitude most important of all.

Thing is we all grow older but we can also make that better.

And if you want to poke fun at Ray for his comment quote Tracey. The only way you can change a man is if he is wearing diapers

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin