Thursday, December 25, 2008

So here's the deal...


Christmas is over.

The frenzy had finally died down. No more horrendous traffic and most of all, no kids coming to my door singing “Ang Pasko ay Sumapit” every 3-minute intervals.

Those goody bags I have prepared to last till the 25th was two days short because I was not clever enough to put indelible marks to the fingers of those kids who had come to my door caroling. I am pretty certain some of them had gotten more than three goody bags a night.

So what gifts had I given to my loved ones? None. Well, circumstances did not allow me to spend for gifts. My kids just asked me for shopping money so they can buy presents for their friends. But did they even think of buying one for their mom? NO! Don’t get me wrong, I like giving gifts. And if money was not an issue, I would spend a fortune giving gifts to people I love.

Its amazing how being sick on Christmas day has its benefit especially if you have nothing to give to friends who calls asking you to come to their house or those who want to know if they can come to yours. My incessant coughing over the phone must have convinced them not to see me or they won’t be able to make their usual boundary of at least five houses on Christmas day.

What do I want for Christmas? Why does Mariah Carey’s “All I want for Christmas is You” kept humming in my mind? Do I feel sentimental over something or someone? Your guess is as good as mine. (blushes)

If I wanted something material, I would probably wish for a new laptop to replace this very slow one, and maybe a nice ear ring to add to my humble fake jewelry collection.

If I wanted something short of a miracle, I would wish for a smaller belly, rounder buttocks and great skin. But since they are close to being miracles, I will leave them to God. Maybe in His divine grace, He will grant my wish someday—or in my next life?

What do I really want for Christmas?

Ok, since I did not get any of those I wished for, I’ll just instead settle for the third one – that people will understand me. That when I am quite, it doesn’t mean I am cranky, it means I am ok. When I blow my top, it means I am having my PMS and is fed up with the pain. When I complain that it hurts, please don’t misinterpret it as whining, I am just letting you know.

I want my last wish to come true. And I hope it’s not too much to ask.

4 comments:

Sid Brechin said...

First Odette let me say that I am sorry you are ill. You symptoms sound terrible.

On the other hand it your article is very nice.

Carol singers are no longer common here. Haven't been my whole life. It is still done in some of the better off areas. Make that extremely better off areas. Also shopping malls hire carol singers and some church groups have people do it up and down the streets but going house to house seems to only happen at Halloween today.

Personally I ended up awake until 4 am and then slept till 2 so I went to bed when some families are getting up due to excited kids wanting to show what Santa brought. Then I woke when some are sitting down to a Christmas feast.

I expected to spend it alone and when I was working I was usually working Christmas day. Still that only took up 10 hours so I did get in some family time. This year most of the family is ill so it is quiet for me.

For once I did not spend a pile on gifts. I did give money to a few friends and relatives which is not what I usually do. Still there are many families birthdays coming up starting with my Mom on the 2nd then my niece on the 7th me on the 14th My Dad on Feb 2.

Hope everyone has not only a Merry Christmas but a wonderfilled enjoyable life from now until forever.

Shubh said...

Merry christmas!

Angry American said...

Carolers? What's that? I don't ever remember carolers coming around our neighborhood as far back as I can remember and I was born in 1968

Tracey said...

Hi Odette, how are you feeling now? hope you had a good Christmas even though you were feeling poorly.
Love Tracey xxx

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin