Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Boundless filipinos.


I was traveling in the countryside yesterday and the expanse of space and the traditional way of living there caught my eyes. It reminds me of the Filipino concept of time and space which is infinite. It is neither numerical or measurable. When I asked direction, the person who answered me didn't express the distance by kilometers but with subjective words "malapit" (near) or " malayo (far).
I also noticed the traditional culture of Filipinos not to divide their land into private parcels but instead held a communal property where each villager could share in its agricultural or forest abundance.

Even the Filipino dwelling has no physical boundaries that separate one room from another.

The interior of the "bahay-kubo" (nipa hut) is truly multipurpose. It is a single space that transforms into a receiving room, sleeping room, kitchen, dining room or chapel, constantly adapting to allow whatever activity the room needs to accommodate at any particular moment during the day.

Meanwhile in the "bahay na bato" (stone house), spaces effortlessly flows from the living room, to the dining area and to the kitchen with arched entrances use to define one from the other. However in the multipurpose nature of Filipino homes, mats are laid out on the living room at night for the family and household to sleep in.

As a matter of fact, for Filipinos, space is not confined within one’s house. A party might temporarily take over the street, or a family business like a small store, or a repair shop. We would use the space for other activity that requires a larger area which isn't available in the house. Many instances we occupy the sidewalk, or a major part of the street especially during a wake or weddings.

Overlapping layers of space in the Filipino house respond to the cultural value. No Filipino want to live in isolation. It also responds to the tropical environment and we always allow air to circulate freely from one area to the next. We just love the open space and we also keep the natural environment surrounding the house in full view.

The spacelessness of a Filipino house is beguiling and seductive, like the sheer, filmy layers of the traditional baro’t saya or the barong tagalog where layers of gauze-like piƱa cover the Filipino body but allows air to circulate between the layers of almost transparent fabric.

And like the traditional Filipino house, the best is kept veiled from full view.

9 comments:

Sir,William said...

I long for the days of my youth my Sister Odette..
This reminds of a simpler time in my country where we could be more open and free.

You have brought a glimpse of how it used to be and that's so sweet!

Thanks.

Ms. Moon said...

Hello! I just discovered you from a link to me. How did you find me? I am so curious.

Anonymous said...

For you...

You and I are not the same,
Nor will we ever be...
But we have a common thread,
That attaches you to me.

A golden thread that's spun so fine,
With so much love and care,
A thread of gold, for us to hold,
That only best friends can share.

A common bond within our hearts,
Love that's rare, a special find.
An ability to feel and see,
Within the heart so blind...

So know my friend I'll be with you,
And you shall be with me.
A lasting friendship, full of joy,
For all eternity.

Odette Bautista Mikolai said...

@ anonymous

That's a very nice poem and it warms my heart. Thank you so much....my friend.

Anonymous said...

Odette...

Just as a wave is lifted by the shore,
Then breaks across the slowly rising sand,
So as I watch you weep my feelings pour
Across the wash of what I understand.
I wish I could just take you in my arms
And all your pain could melt into my chest,
And all the violence of passing storms
Could pass through me and finally come to rest.
No words can set things right or presence lend
A miracle to light your darkened way,
But there is solace in a loving friend
And comfort in what I don't have to say.
Whatever circumstance you cannot bear,
Just turn to me, and you will find me there

Anonymous said...

I am one of your best reader while you're posting in Sagay website... It happens I accidentally read your blog on MALDITASHA and tried to trace you... I found you again and I like your site... From now on, I will be one of your constant guest... thank you for giving me a chance...

Odette Bautista Mikolai said...

@ anonymous

Oh...a fellow Sagaynon! well, a visit to my blog is always a pleasure. If you just happen to stumble into this link, then i suggest you read my old post for you to have a glimpse of my life, my thoughts, my fears and aspirations.
I am pretty candid and honest in it. So laugh and cry with me as we journey together...ok?

Anonymous said...

I will and always... together as one.

Anonymous said...

For you blue_butterfly...

When I speak of your beauty,
I speak not of that which time,
Like some unwelcomed guest
Arrives to steal away.

I speak of that
Which cannot be measured,
Or weighed,
By human hands.

I speak of your warmth
Like that of welcomed sunshine
On a frosty, winter morning.

I speak of your fragrance
Like the smell of cool, crisp air
After a short, April shower.

I speak of your taste,
Like that of ice-cold lemonade,
On a hot, steamy night.

I speak of your color,
Like that of the first blue bonnet
Swimming in a sea of green.

But in the end
I realize that no one word,
Or sentence can fully capture
The essence of who you are.

For to fully appreciate you,
One must experience you,
Like the vinter tasting
The first glass of new wine.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin